About The Department
The Department of Instrumentation Engineering was established in 1992. The department is offering under graduate program B.E. in Instrumentation Engineering. The basic need for this was the competition due to globalization in industrial automation sectors as automation is increasing day by day. It is highly interdisciplinary branch covers major aspects of chemical, mechanical and electrical fundamentals. It also involves the applications of instruments for measurement and control.
The department boasts qualified, experienced and dedicated faculty to impart fundamental and applied knowledge in the field of, Process Systems Engineering, Industrial Automation, Instrumentation Systems Engineering.
The department focuses on preparing the students to meet global industrial challenges.
Growing requirement of control and computing has created a large space for “ Research in Instrumentation”.
The ultimate goal is to make them aware of the recent advances taking place in the technological field.
Instrumentation Engineering department of Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Mumbai is dedicated to students to provide opportunity to make them learn and fulfill industry demands.
To be a dynamic contribution or to the global community through the development of expertise and dissemination of advance knowledge in the field of Instrumentation Engineering and to create an environment that will facilitate the growth of individuals through innovative teaching, research and involvement of industry.
- To provide high quality undergraduate programs in Instrumentation Engineering.
- To advance knowledge of Instrumentation Engineering, strengthen and support R & D organizations/institutions, industry and enhance teaching.
- To work on socially relevant issues/problems, of national importance.
Program Education Objective
- Core Competency: Graduate will solve real world problems appropriate to the discipline using foundation of mathematics, science and Instrumentation Engineering
- Breadth: Graduate will apply current industry accepted practices, new and emerging technologies to analyze, design, implement, and maintain state-of-art solutions.
- Learning Environment: Exhibit self- learning capabilities to assimilate and practice emerging theories and technologies. Exhibit teamwork and effective communication skills.
- Professionalism: Inculcate professional and ethical attitude and ability to relate automation issues to society at large.
- Preparation: Be successfully employed or accepted into a graduate program / higher studies, and demonstrate a pursuit of lifelong learning.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, Science and Engineering to Instrumentation Discipline.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments for measurement, measurement devices / elements, Control System, variety of control algorithms paradigms, final control elements, etc., and ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Be able to apply the principles and practices for instrument / system / equipment / device design and development to real world problems adhering to safety and regulatory standards as applicable.
- Be able to work effectively in a various team (may be multidisciplinary teams).
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve a problem in Instrumentation Engineering.
- Understand the social impact of automation, safety aspects of automation, hazards associated with various processes, environmental issues, professional ethics, etc.
- An ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form while formulating project proposals, reports and other related documents.
- Understand the impact of Instrumentation solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and capabilities necessary for pursuing a professional career or graduate studies; recognize the need for continuing professional development.
- Understanding of contemporary and emerging technology for various processes and systems.
- Ability to select and use latest hardware and software tools for various processes and systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of sensors / transducers, Control system, complete automation system.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using a high-level / low level programming languages and network protocols for embedded system applications and networked systems.